FG Frees 220 Boko Haram Suspects To Try 1, 600 Others
The Federal Government has freed 220 suspected Boko Haram due to the absence of evidence to prosecute them.
The Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr. Abubakar Malami, SAN, said this, adding that another 1, 600 suspects would be prosecuted and that the trial would start by October 9.
According to him, these suspects were held at various detentions in some parts of the country, adding, “About 1, 670 of them were detained out of which 220 had been freed.”
The freed suspects, Malami said were also recommended for re-radicalization programme before they could be reabsorbed into the society.
The minister stated that nine of the 13 Boko Haram suspects tried for terrorism had been convicted while 651 members of the Islamic Extremists that were remanded had since been transferred from Giwa Barracks to Maiduguri Prisons.
He said that 33 trials involving apprehended members of the sect are currently ongoing at various divisions of the Federal High Court.
However, the Justice Minister attributed the delay in prosecuting many of the members of the insurgence to absence of cooperation between investigators and prosecutors and lack of forensic evidence.
He also mentioned, poor logistical facilities to transport defendants from detention facility to court for trial and scarcity of skilled/trained forensic personnel to handle investigation of complex cases.