Lagos-Ibadan Expressway To Gulp Another N80b – Fashola
The Federal Executive Council (FEC) has approved additional N80billion for the Lagos-Ibadan expressway, the Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Mr Babatunde Fashola said this.
He spoke to statehouse correspondent shortly after the FEC meeting on Wednesday that the funds would enable the contractor to do the rehabilitation of the 84 kilometres section two (Ibadan to Sagamu) of the road.
Last month, the council approved N64.1bilion to be spent on section one (Lagos to Saganmu).
Fashola said: “The contract awarded to RCC at the cost of N96 billion before is now revised by N80.199 billion to take the total cost to N176.503 billion.”
The major things that are expected to be done on the road include the change of the type of bitumen due to the swamps that have been encountered.
He also said that some work would be done on the depth of the design for the road, which is 1,100 millimetres, roughly about 43 inches of reconstruction from the base.
“As you might know, the road is being expanded from two to three lanes on both sides. Also, we are installing Glover leavers, toll plazas and service lanes. All these to accommodate the changes that have taken place, which was not conceptualised when the road was first built,” he said.
The minister also disclosed that the sum of N18.87 billion had been approved by FEC for the rehabilitation and repair of the Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos.
He said: “The repair of the Third Mainland Bridge was conceived in 2011 but was not awarded because there were no budgetary provisions.