Metuh’s Nemesis In N400M Fraud

Nigeria News Take a look at the turns of events as the former National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Olisa Metuh fights the battle of his life in the allegation of N400 million fraud.

 

Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High Court Abuja issued a subpoena to the former President Goodluck Jonathan and the former National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki to appear as witnesses before his court.

 

Okon is the trial judge in the alleged N400 million fraud by Chief Olisa Metuh, the former National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP and before he could continue with the trial, the judge needed the two principal actors in the immediate past administration.

 

The Department of the State Service, DSS is prosecuting Dasuki over the diversion of $2.1 billion meant for the purchase of arms during the regime of Goodluck Jonathan.

READ ALSO:  2019: Alhassan, Buhari And Atiku; The Disloyalty of A Truthful Servant

 

The money was misappropriated and in its investigation, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission traced part of the money, the sum of N400 million to the account of Metuh.

 

At a time, Metuh agreed to pay back the money in instalments to the Federal Government but as the trial continued, last week, the court asked the PDP former spokesman to produce two key witnesses, Dasuki and Jonathan.

 

While Jonathan has been enjoying some freedom despite various allegation against him, Dasuki is languishing in DSS custody and Metuh is answering questions from EFCC.

 

The three were good jolly friends in the arms deal but as things have turned now, each of them will have to carry his own cross.

 

Dasuki refused to show up at the court until Wednesday. He had told Metuh to carry his cross alone. However, after serious persuasion by the DSS officials, he agreed to appear on Wednesday.

 

READ ALSO:  Buhari, Atiku And The Swinging Voters

And when he appeared at the court, Dasuki pleaded he had lost his memory and would not be able to remember all that happened during Jonathan regime.

 

But Jonathan turned down the subpoena. Rather he requested Metuh to pay him N1 billion before he will show up as a witness before the high court.

 

Jonathan lawyer Chief Mike Ozekhome, SAN, said that the money would cover the travelling expenses of his client from his Otuoke residence in Bayelsa State and that of his security personnel to Abuja.

 

Part of the money would also go for accommodation while in Abuja as a witness for his former friend and party’s spokesman, Chief Metuh.

READ ALSO:  What Will Ambode’s Legacy Be?

 

Jonathan said that the evidence that Metuh was seeking from him would expose him to criminal charges and expose his family members to danger and therefore, he could not stand in the witness box for such.

 

At the resumption of the trial on Wednesday, Metuh pleaded that the court insists on summoning the former president as a witness in the N400 million fraud.

 

Metuh’s trial could be a major lesson to many politicians and their aides that when the chips are down nobody will stand to help, especially on the allegation of corruption.

 

What goes around comes around, so they say. Metuh’s action when PDP was in power has come to haunt him as those he thought could assist to get him out of his present predicament have all denied him. It is Metuh’s nemesis.

Leave a Comment