United Nations (UN) Releases $13m Life-Saving Assistance to N/Eastern Nigeria

United Nations (UN) Releases $13m Life-Saving Assistance to N/Eastern Nigeria

The sum of $13 million has been released to provide adequate care and health services to about 250, 000 Nigerians that were affected by the activities of Boko Haram Insurgence.

The United Nations released the fund as part of its Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) to provide life-saving assistance for the victims of terrorism in the region.

The UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Mr Stephen O’Brien, , issued the release on Monday, adding that it became imperative to do so now going by the level of poverty caused by the killings, destruction of properties and livestock in the area.

“This fund will go a long way in providing for families, providing tools for the farmers to do farming during this season and invariably put food on the table for their children,” he said.

O’Brien said that the international community had looked critically at what it could do to lift the standard of the people in the Boko Haram Ravaged region but it had been a bit difficult.

“But now that the government had subdued the terrorists to a large extent, then UN has come up to provide the necessary assistance needed by this region,” he said.

The UN says the humanitarian Response Plan for Nigeria was revised upwards by 51 million dollars in June.

Meanwhile the United Nations are calling for additional $279 million to assist Nigeria, especially in the region that was badly affected by the insurgents in the last six years.

Many Nigerians in the North East most of whom are farmers have been displaced by Boko Haram attack, which of course had drastically affected their trade and culture.

They abandoned their farms, livestock to save their lives from the bloody thirsty terrorists.